Eighteen California Chamber of Commerce member companies were chosen in a recent Glassdoor survey as some of the best places to work.
The Glassdoor survey breaks down its lists using company size:
- 50 Best Places to Work (honoring employers with 1,000 or more employees) and
- 50 Best Small & Medium Companies to Work For (honoring employers with fewer than 1,000 employees).
Winners are ranked based on their overall rating achieved during the past year.
Glassdoor’s 50 Best Places to Work in 2017 list features winning employers across diverse industries spanning technology, consulting, travel and tourism, consumer goods, retail, food services and more.
50 Best Places to Work
Three CalChamber member companies appear in the top five. CalChamber members in this category included:
- Bain & Company (#1, 4.6 rating), venture capitalists;
- Facebook (#2, 4.5 rating), information technology;
- Google (#4, 4.4 rating), information technology;
- In-N-Out Burger (#7, 4.4 rating), restaurants, bars & food services;
- Clorox (#12, 4.3 rating), manufacturing;
- Delta Air Lines (#21, 4.3 ratng), travel & tourism;
- Johnson & Johnson (#26, 4.3 rating), biotech & pharmaceuticals;
- Southwest Airlines (#28, 4.3 rating), travel & tourism;
- NVIDIA (#30, 4.2 rating), graphics processing unit (GPU)-accelerated computing;
- Microsoft (# 37, 4.2 rating), information technology;
- SpaceX (#40, 4.2 rating), aerospace & defense
- Raising Cane’s (#43, 4.2 rating), restaurants, bars & food services;
- IKEA (#45, 4.2 rating), retail.
Bain & Company is the first company to rank No. 1 three times (2017, 2014 and 2012), and is among only three employers that have made this list for nine consecutive years. The other two employers with this distinction are Google (No. 4, 4.4 rating) and Apple (No. 36, 4.2 rating).
Fourteen employers are on this list for the first time this year, including CalChamber members Clorox (No. 12, 4.3 rating) and SpaceX (No. 40, 4.2 rating), among others.
50 Best Small & Medium Companies
CalChamber members in this category included:
- The Trade Desk (#20, 4.7 rating), information technology;
- PayJunction (#29, 4.7 rating), information technology;
- Procore Technologies (# 32, 4.7 rating), information technology;
- C3 LoT (#40, 4.6 rating), information technology;
- Thumbtack (#50, 4.6 rating), information technology.
The 2017 Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Awards for the Best Places to Work rely solely on input from employees who elected to anonymously submit a company review on Glassdoor. During the eligibility timeframe, more than 2.1 million company reviews were submitted by employees on Glassdoor.
When providing a company review, employees are asked to share their opinion on some of the best reasons to work for their employer (pros), any downsides (cons), and are encouraged to provide advice to management. In addition, employees are asked to rate how satisfied they are with their employer overall, rate their CEO, as well as rate key workplace attributes like career opportunities, compensation and benefits, culture and values, senior management, and work-life balance. Employees are also asked whether they would recommend their employer to a friend and whether they believe their employer’s business will perform better, worse or remain the same in the next six months.
The Glassdoor 2017 Employees’ Choice Awards for the Best Places to Work feature six distinct categories. For each category, company reviews and ratings from current and former employees were considered between November 2, 2015 and October 30, 2016.