Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. recently made some long-awaited appointments to the California Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board.
Four members were reappointed to their seats, while two new members have joined the board.
The two new appointed members are:
- Robert Blink, 62, of San Francisco.
Blink has been an occupational medicine physician at Vista Oaks Occupational Medicine since 2010 and chief executive officer and medical director at the Worksite Partners Medical Group since 1988. He was vice president and medical director at WorkCare from 2004 to 2009 and medical director at the Concentra Medical Center from 1998 to 2002, at Occupational Medicine Associates-AMHealth from 1994 to 1998, at Hughes-Lewis Associates from 1984 to 1988 and at Sutter Medical Group from 1981 to 1984. Blink was an emergency medical physician at Emergency Medical Systems from 1980 to 1981 and at Mid-America Medical Services from 1979 to 1980. He earned a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and a Master of Public Health degree in environmental health from the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health.<
- John Sacco, 60, of Rocklin.
Sacco has been principal industrial hygienist and safety engineer at Earthshine Consulting Inc. since 1998. He was risk manager at the Association of California Water Agencies Joint Powers Insurance Authority from 1993 to 1998, senior industrial hygienist at Continental Technical Services from 1985 to 1993 and an industrial hygienist and safety professional at the Fireman’s Fund from 1977 to 1985. Sacco earned a Master of Science degree in environmental sciences from the University of Texas at Dallas.
Blink fills the occupational health seat vacated by Hank McDermott who retired after serving almost five years on the board. Sacco fills the management seat which was held for nearly 20 years by Bill Jackson of Granite Construction who retired.
The four reappointed members to the Cal/OSHA Board are:
- David Harrison, 43, of Suisun City, who has served since 2012 as a labor representative on the board. He has been district representative and auditor at the Operating Engineers Local Union 3 since 2013.
- Barbara Smisko, 63, of Berkeley, who has served since 2012 as a management representative on the board. She has been executive director of national environmental health and safety at Kaiser Permanente since 1994.
- Laura Stock, 61, of Berkeley, who has served since 2012 as an occupational safety representative on the board. She has been director of the Labor Occupational Health Program at the University of California, Berkeley since 2012.
- David Thomas, 57, of Fairfield, was reappointed as chair and has served since 2010 as a labor representative on the board. He has been a contract compliance officer at the Northern California District Council of Laborers since 2009.
These positions do not require Senate confirmation and the compensation is $100 per diem.