AB 51 Lawsuit Chronology and Documents
The Ninth Circuit previously decided to defer consideration of the CalChamber en banc petition until the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on another arbitration agreement case, Viking River Cruises v. Moriana.
In a win for California employers, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 15, 2022 that individual claims under the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) can be compelled to arbitration if the employee signed a valid arbitration agreement to that effect (Viking River Cruises v. Moriana, 596 U.S. __ (June 15, 2022)).
Read more and listen to The Workplace podcast discussion on how the Viking decision affects employers and arbitration agreements.
AB 51 Lawsuit Documents
- Ninth Circuit Panel Votes to Rehear Case (8/22/22)
- Ninth Circuit Order Vacating Preliminary Injunction (9/15/21)
- Order Granting Preliminary Injunction (pdf-02/07/20)
- Plaintiffs’ Supplemental Brief (pdf – 01/24/20 )
- Defendants’ Supplemental Brief (pdf – 01/17/20)
- Order Granting Temporary Restraining Order and Setting Expedited Hearing on Preliminary Injunction (pdf – 12/30/19)
- Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America et al. v. Becerra et al. (pdf – 12/6/19)
(Case Number 2:19-at-01142, in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California)
Related Policy Issues
The Legal Affairs Department reviews and participates in court cases having a broad impact on California’s economy and business climate.