CalChamber is a not-for-profit organization committed to helping California businesses survive and thrive while complying with complex laws and regulations. Our members are a diverse group, ranging from companies such as Microsoft and the Walt Disney Corporation to local companies with a handful of employees.
For more than 125 years, CalChamber has worked to make California a better place to live, work, and do business by giving private sector employers a voice in state politics and providing a full range of California-specific products and services.
The California Chamber of Commerce has an opening for a lobbyist to represent the CalChamber viewpoint in the legislative and regulatory arena. The Policy Advocate will specialize in privacy, technology, telecommunications, taxation and workers’ compensation-related issues and will function both as a lobbyist to advance the interests of CalChamber, and as a leader to engage legislators, legislative and executive staff, CalChamber members and the business community in general to support CalChamber’s advocacy goals. The Policy Advocate will also work with state and local agencies, media and the public in general.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze and evaluate legislative and regulatory proposals to assess the impact on business in California.
- Meet with legislators, legislative and executive branch staff to acquaint and inform them of the CalChamber viewpoint regarding proposed legislation and regulations.
- Write support and opposition letters to legislators, legislative committees and regulatory agencies.
- Provide testimony at legislative and regulatory hearings on the CalChamber’s position as necessary.
- Identify, contact and assist witnesses from affected businesses to testify at legislative and regulatory hearings.
- Plan CalChamber committee meetings and make presentations at those meetings.
- Write articles for CalChamber publications as necessary.
- Answer calls from CalChamber members and non-members on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Answer media questions on applicable legislative and regulatory issues.
- Speak to interested groups on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree.
- Experience practicing law.
- Solid communication skills, both oral and written.
- Leadership and strong organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
Mail, fax or e-mail cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Fax: (916) 325-1268 or
Mailing Address: California Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 1736
Sacramento, CA 95812-1736